In The News
Check below for the latest news reports and articles concerning Volunteers of America New Orleans and the people we serve in 16 south Louisiana Parishes.
Resources for This Section
- "Housing and Food Meet in New Orleans" - Affordable Housing Finance - December 19, 2013
"Housing and Food Meet in New Orleans" - Affordable Housing Finance - December 19, 2013
- Crisis Response Program Letter to the Editor - Times Picayune December 4, 2013
- November 16, 2013 - WWL coverage of the Carousel Party during Adoption Awareness Month
- 1770 Tchoupitoulas Grand Opening Media Coverage - October 30, 2013
The Grand Opening of 1770 Tchoupitoulas, home to Fresh Food Factor and Centennial Place, took place on Wednesday, October 30, 2013.
- Veterans Administration Partnership With Volunteers of America to Assist Veterans - The New Orleans Advocate September 26, 2013
- Senior Resource Fair Article - The Advocate Thursday, August 22, 2013
- August 21, 2013 Times Picayune Article - Grant Awarded to Fund Veterans Program
- June 9, 2013 Times-Picayune Pat Brister Praises Our Crisis Response Program
In this guest editorial in the June 9, 2013 Times-Picayune, St. Tammany Parish President Pat Brister praises our Crisis Response Program for helping to lower alarming suicide rates.
- WWL Action Report: Community Answers Prayers for Vietnam Vet - February 22, 2013
- Veterans Programs featured on Department of Defense website - January 18, 2013
Veterans Programs featured on Department of Defense website - January 18, 2013
- LSU School of Nursing opens clinic at Terraces on Tulane - WWL and Advocate coverage - December 16-17, 2012
The LSU School of Nursing opened a clinic at the Terraces on Tulane. The clinic will be operated by the LSU School of Nursing and the services provided will be exclusively offered to Terraces residents.
- Local Teen Helps Veterans this Christmas on Fox 8 December 18, 2012
Princeton Carter, Newman student, is passionate about helping Veterans. He organized a donation drive to collect Rouses gift cards. His donation helped families in our Supportive Services for Veteran Families Program.
- Wendy's Volunteer Day at The Groves in the Times Picayune November 26, 2012
Wendy's Volunteer Day at The Groves in the Times Picayune November 26, 2012
- Veterans Get Free Haircuts on Veterans Day - nola.com - November 12, 2012
- Fresh and Healthy Foods Program & Apartments - Novogradac Tax Credits Journal - November 2012
- Adopton Carousel Party in The Advocate November 4, 2012
In celebration of National Adoption Month (November) Volunteers of America adoptive families gathered together at City Park.
- Fresh and Healthy groundbreaking covered by local news outlets
Several local news outlets including, The Times-Picayune, City Business, and Uptown Messeanger, cover the groundbreaking of a redevelopment on Tchoupitoulas called the Fresh and Healthy Program.
- Former New Orleans Saints player Az-Zahir Hakim hosts camp at Tulane in Times Picayune July 1, 2012
Az-Zahir Hakim, a former wide receiver with the New Orleans Saints, returned to the city on Saturday to host Go Beyond the GAME, a football camp for kids with an incarcerated parent. This year the camp branched out to St. Louis and, in partnership with Volunteers of America, New Orleans.
- No Child Left Alone: Volunteers Mentor Children of Inmates
On March 25, 2012, the Christian Science Monitor discussed the need for mentors to children with incarcerated parents, as well as the difficulty of supplying these mentors with cuts in federal funding. The need is especially great in New Orleans, where 5,000 children have a parent in prison.
- VOA offers services to seniors in Times-Picayune June 22, 2012
On June 22, The Times-Picayune recognized Volunteers of America Greater New Orleans as a strong advocate of senior citizens in our community.
- Veterans Develop Bonds at Napoleon Avenue Transitional Home Times-Picayune March 19, 2012
Warren Curry and Charlie Wells developed an eternal bond at our Veterans Transitional Housing Program. Wells cared for Curry when he was suffering from lung cancer and after his death, Curry escorted his ashes to Well's family in West Virginia.
- Mental Health Services On WVUE-TV March 5, 2012
Director of Supportive Services Melissa Haley explains that our mental health services are still helping people in need, despite state cutbacks in funding.
- AT&T Presents Supermarket Sweep To Benefit Veterans on WDSU Dec. 7, 2011
All food and toiletries gathered by media personalities and AT&T volunteers, almost $6,000 worth, go to men served by our Veterans Transitional Housing Program.
- Adoption Program On Fox 8 Nov. 24, 2011
November is National Adoption Month. Fox 8 News features Adoption Program Director Lori Arcenaueax.
- Veterans Day Coverage in The Times-Picayune, WGNO-TV, and WWL-TV Nov. 17, 2011
In remembrance of Veterans Day, The Veterans Transitional Housing Facility held a ceremony to honor service members and dedicate a new pavilion and community garden. The facility helps homeless veterans get back on their feet and teaches them life skills such as how to apply for jobs.
- Covington City Council votes to annex The Groves at Mile Branch in Times-Picayune Nov. 16, 2011
The Covington City Council voted to annex The Groves at Mile Branch, a 15-acre mixed income workforce housing development.
- Groves at Mile Branch tenants to begin moving in this weekend in Times-Picayune June 29, 2011
The Groves at Mile Branch finish up a few last touches before tenants move in. The Groves is being developed by Renaissance Neighborhood Development and will offer affordable housing in St. Tammany School Board to allow workers to live closer to their jobs.
- Adoptive Family On WWL-TV June 28, 2011
WWL-TV talks with Adoption Program Coordinator Lori Arceneaux and adoptive parents Jennifer and Neal. They share their positive experience with semi-open adoption.
- Quiet Hero Serves Our Veterans on WWL-TV June 6, 2011
WWL-TV News honors retired Army Maj. David Garic for helping formerly homeless veterans rebuild their lives at our Veterans Transitional Housing Program.
- Mental Health Services on on WWL-TV May 24, 201 and FOX8 May 30, 2011
Melissa Haley, Program Director of Supportive Services, discusses environmental disasters and other triggers of mental health crises. Volunteers of America of Greater New Orleans provides accessible services to those experiencing mental health issues, including veterans, children of incarcerated parents, and homeless people.
- Crisis Response Program On WVUE-TV May 9, 2011
St. Tammany Parish has the highest suicide rate in Louisiana. Rebecca Thees, Program Director of the Crisis Response Program, explains how Volunteers of America provides after care to those who have attempted suicide.
- Crisis Response Program on WWL-TV April 16, 2012
Rebecca Thees, Program Director of the Crisis Response Program, discusses the success of the program, citing that no one who has received follow up care has attempted suicide again. Designed to reduce St. Tammany's high suicide rates, our program intervenes to help persons at risk through counseling and follow-up care.
- Veterans Services receives $105,000 grant from Home Depot Foundation
$105,000 grant from Home Depot Foundation will help Volunteers of America serve hundreds of veterans, helping them achieve independent housing and employment